Monday, May 10, 2010

Lake Geneva Race

I had a great weekend with my friend Dana. She is running one marathon a week for 52 weeks this year. Each week she is running for a orphaned child in Africa. This week her race was in Lake Geneva, Wi. After her plane being delayed for about 3 hours I picked her up from the airport at midnight on Friday night. We drove an hour to our hotel in Lake Geneva. We obviously got to bed late. I hardly slept all night then we woke up at 5:30. The day before I decided I would run the 5K. I have not run for 4-5 weeks now so I could let me leg heal after training for the half marathon. We got to packet pick up and I went to register and they would only accept cash or check. I had neither. I just decided it was not big deal I wouldn't run it. As we were walking out there was an ATM. I decided to get cash out and run the race. We walked outside and right away I regretted my decision to register for the run. It was freezing cold, windy and slightly rainy. Dana stared her race at 8 and mine was to start at 8:15. She was off so I walked over to where the 5k and 10K started. The race was about to start and the man said something along the lines of, "the hill from hell is waiting for you". Again I was thinking what did I get myself into. I had no choice now, but to run. I started off and sure enough... HILLS!!! The whole race was big steep never ending hills. I did walk a couple of times going up the hills, but on the way down I just ran.
Here are my race results:

bib number: 612
age: 32
gender: F
location: Sheboygan, WI
overall place: 118 out of 193
division place: 8 out of 21
gender place: 63
time: 35:45
pace: 11:31

race summary:
Number of Finishers: 193
Number of Females: 124
Number of Males:69
Average Time: 36:39

At first I was bummed with my results. I wanted to finish 33 minutes or less, but I had no idea the hills I was going to face. I am very excited about how I did. I was just under a minute faster the the average time for the race so that felt good. Especially since I have not run in weeks.

Here is the picture Dana took of the two of us before we left the hotel that morning.

The picture I tried to take.


After my race I drove to find Dana. She has been having a lot of trouble wit her leg. She limped the whole race. I felt bad for her. It is amazing she doesn't give up. I know that with the pain she had most people would have.

I drove back where I ran to get pictures. You can't really tell how the hills are in the picture.


I took this picture of this older couple running the marathon. I would say they were in their 60s and in really great shape. They stuck by each other the whole race. How inspiring is that? No one should ever say they are too old for anything!!! That is one thing that drives me crazy!!!

Dana running!





Dana approaching the finish line.



Dana finished with a 5:35 for her time.
Dana quickly showered and we headed to the airport so she could catch her flight out. I got home and I was sooo tired! I think I am still trying to catch up on my sleep. Follow Dana's blog and follow her upcoming races. 52beginnings.com

No comments: